The following is an outline of the process of becoming a teacher at Summer Academy. We love new, innovative course ideas and welcome your application!
- Design a Course – The course should meet the unique needs of the high potential student helping them develop leadership skills, creativity, problem solving and communication in a challenging, analytical atmosphere. Course objectives should be attained through the use of structured activities, extensive emphasis on higher level questioning, peer interaction and critical analysis. It should be challenging and fun!
- Apply Online – New teacher applicants for Summer Academy should complete the online application. The application components include a Course Abstract, Course Description/Outline (1-2 pages), Qualifications, and References. Application deadline for new teachers is December 31.
- Interview – All developers of course proposals will be contacted to interview with the Academy Board of Directors. All interviews are scheduled for the morning of Saturday, January 9, 2016 at the Columbia Heights District Center (1440 49th Ave NE, Columbia Heights). If you propose a class, you will be contacted by January 6 to set up a time for the Saturday interview on January 9. In the case of inclement weather, the make-up date will be Saturday, January 16. Courses approved during the interview process will be listed in the course catalog. Summer Academy employment will be contingent upon adequate enrollment for each course and a successful background check.
- Approved Courses Listed in Course Catalog – The Summer Academy Course Catalog and invitations will be distributed to students during March. Teachers will be notified by mid-April whether their class filled and will run for the upcoming Summer Academy session.
- New Teacher Meetings – The director will set up meetings as needed with new teachers to answer questions and support the teacher’s development of a quality offering tailored to the needs of the high potential student.
- 1/2 Day Workshop for new and returning Summer Academy teachers – On the last Saturday of April, a 1/2 day morning workshop will be held for all new and returning Summer Academy teachers. Summer Academy hours for teachers are generally 7:30 AM – 12:30 PM during the academy. In addition to these SA hours there will be an hour staff meeting each week, 2 Extended Days (later release of 2:30 PM), Summer Academy Open House (3 hour evening event at the end of the Academy).